It is with deep sadness that I convey this news about one of our colleagues. Mark Alch passed away late last week after suffering through a difficult illness. Mark was a much admired and respected Referee, Referee Instructor and Referee committeeman who served the AYSO organization and Region 213 for 25 years. He had a great love for the sport of Soccer and exceptional knowledge of the mechanics of the game. Mark refereed thousands of matches and mentored countless referee students, always with his kind & caring manner and terrific sense of humor. He served for many years as an active referee in Orange County for the AYSO, USSF, High School and Irvine Adult Soccer leagues.
Let me share some of Mark’s wonderful achievements and contributions in his life:
• Served as Director of Education-National Training & Support at AYSO HQ, 2000-2002
• Served AYSO Region 213 in a number of referee administrative capacities
• Adjunct Professor, Business and Management, University of California, Irvine.
• Senior Vice President & Managing Director at management consulting firm Drake Beam Morin, Inc.
• Ph.D. Modern European History, UCLA 1977
• M.A. Modern European History, University of Minnesota 1970
• Proficient in German, French and Spanish languages
• Twice completed the grueling Rim to Rim run across the Grand Canyon
• A brilliant author. In 1999 he wrote and published “How to Become a Millionaire: A Straightforward Approach to Accumulating Personal Wealth.”
He was a wonderful husband & father. Mark and wife Rivi raised two terrific children in Irvine, sons Matthew and Parker.
Mark Alch will truly be missed by all of us who so enjoyed his wit and dedication to the game. He was a good friend. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.
- Tim Rychel